Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Emma Twice

I finally got around to finishing the background on the Emma painting a couple days ago:

I had had something like this in mind all along, but I got more specificity, and a kick in the butt, from seeing the Georgia O'Keefe show at the Whitney over the weekend. Here's a piece that wasn't in the show, but since I couldn't find any good images of the ones in the show, it'll have to do:
What I got from O'Keefe was the idea to think seriously about the lines in that wall behind Emma as a significant compositional element. I'm glad I did, too, I don't know what I was thinking when I was like, "I'll just make some lines, it'll work out."

1 comment:

  1. Do you normally think of the background at the same time as your subject? Do you consider the background to be the same thing as your subject? I would gather it is a pretty important part of the Mona Lisa, but I wonder if any of it came as an afterthought.

    ReplyDelete